This recipe pairs a chilled stein of golden Lager with a slice of bratwurst, tangy mustard and sautéed, spiced red cabbage … the perfect Oktoberfest party appetizer!
- Serves: 8-12 people
- 4 bratwurst (choose your favorite!)
- 2 cups Lager beer of your choice
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seed
For Red Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- ½ head red cabbage, cored and cut into 4 wedges, then sliced thin
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup yellow mustard plus more for topping
- 1 box Toasted Onion 34° Crisps
- Fresh parsley for garnish, minced
- 1 bottle of your favorite Lager, chilled – for drinking!
- 1. Place bratwurst in large saucepan over high heat, with beer and fennel seed. Bring to boil then reduce to medium, cover and let simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until meat is not longer pink. Drain and discard beer mixture.
- 2. Heat grill to medium. Grill bratwurst, covered, over indirect medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted reads 160° F. Once cooked through, let cool for about 5 minutes, then slice into ½ inch thick rounds. Set aside.
- 3. While bratwurst is cooking, prepare cabbage. Heat large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and olive oil and stir until melted/combined. Add garlic and cook for two minutes. Add cabbage, apple cider, apple-cider vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, ginger and salt. Stir to combine, reduce heat to medium and let cook for about 10 minutes or until cabbage is wilted and tender.
- 4. To assemble your beer and brat bites place the Toasted Onion 34° Crisps on a platter, top each crisp with one piece of bratwurst, spread brat with a thin layer of mustard then a hearty pinch of red cabbage. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with an uber cold Lager! Glückliches Oktoberfest!!
Discover more craveable recipes using 34° Crisps by checking them out on: