When your fiance asks you to recreate one of his mom’s signature recipe, there’s always a certain level of um … panic!
Recently, on a snowy Sunday morning, Shnoo asked me to do just that. The first thing I did was call his mom to understand exactly how she makes her fork tender BBQ Short Ribs that we’ve relished at many a Shabbat dinner. The recipe sounded easy enough, so I went for it—adding a few Food Flirt twists! And I took my new Le Creuset dutch oven on its “maiden voyage!”
- 8-10 bone-in short ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- For Dry Rub
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (if you like a kick)
- For Sauce
- 2 bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Natural and Trader Joe’s Organic Sriracha)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes (I used Trader Joe’s organic, diced fire roasted tomatoes)
- 1. Preheat oven to 275°F. Set short ribs out for 15-20 minutes to bring up temperature.
- 2. Make dry rub by adding all spices to small bowl and mixing together. Sprinkle dry rub over short ribs evenly and massage into ribs to coat on both sides, set aside.
- 3. In medium bowl, whisk together BBQ sauce, wine and honey, set aside.
- 4. Heat dutch oven on stove over medium-high heat.
- 5. Add 2-3 tablespoons of grape seed oil to coat the bottom of the dutch oven (you can use olive oil or canola as well). Toss an onion bit in to test if the oil is hot enough—when it sizzles, you’re ready to sear your short ribs.
- 6. On medium-high heat, sear the short ribs for about 2 minutes on each side.
- 7. Sprinkle onions over the short ribs and pour the BBQ sauce mixture over the ribs. Sauce should just cover the meat.
- 8. Add the tomatoes and stir sauce gently to combine. Bring sauce to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 9. Place short ribs in the oven for 2.5 to 3 hours. Pour yourself a glass of something you love and relax while your short ribs bubble and braise!
- 10. Once short ribs are fork tender, remove from oven and plate immediately while piping hot. Drizzle a few spoonfuls of sauce over the short ribs and serve with rosemary maple syrup roasted potatoes.