Ham Stuffed Challah French Toast with Pumpkin Butter
- 1 large challah
- 1 cup pumpkin butter (can substitute apple butter or any flavor jam)
- 1 Package FARMER JOHN® Sliced Ham (4×6 slices 16-ounces)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups half & half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter for frying (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment. Set aside.
- Cut off ends of challah loaf then slice into 8, evenly thick pieces. Set on baking sheet.
- Spread each slice with a layer of pumpkin butter and divide ham evenly among half of the slices. Top with the remaining slices.
- In large bowl, beat together eggs. Whisk in half & half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Pour into shallow baking dish.
- Melt butter, a tablespoon at a time, in a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Dip sandwiches in the egg mixture to coat both sides. Place in the skillet and cook on both sides until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Repeat with all slices, placing them on the foil lined baking sheet as they are done.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sift powdered sugar evenly over each piece (using a fine mesh sieve if you have one). Bite into breakfast bliss.